NYFA COVID-19 Health and Campus Guidelines and Information - Updated: June 16, 2021, 4:00pm Click here for more information


International Office Update

Dear Students,
I wanted to send an update from the International Student Office as US government guidance has been updated and clarified as it relates to F1 students studying for the Fall 2020 semester.
As you know, NYFA is planning to hold "hybrid" classes in the Fall which means a combination of online classes and on campus classes (the combination and percentages of online classes vs. on campus classes will vary by campus and program).
As per government guidance, you are eligible to enter and/or remain in the US as a F1 student enrolled in hybrid classes.
If for any reason NYFA must switch to ALL online classes at the campus you are attending, F1 international students WILL BE able to continue attending all online classes and remain in the US.
Please note that you must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. You will not be eligible to drop below full-time for any reason except if you are in your last semester of a degree program or you have a medical reason preventing you from going to class (in which case, you must be in touch with the International Student Office on your campus to properly advise you). If NYFA is unable to offer a full course of study mid-semester because of COVID related limitations, it is permissible to take whatever courses are being offered or request a temporary leave. However, if you are simply unwilling to take a full course of study you should request a temporary leave and depending on your situation you may be able to remain in the US or you may have to depart and reenter at a later date.
If you are currently outside of the US and plan to enter the US for the Fall semester please be in touch with us so we can work to make sure you have the proper documents to enter the US.
If you plan to study online from outside the US for the Fall semester, please let us know. You can remain in F1 status and we do not have to take any action with your I 20 certificate. Please be in touch with us 2-3 weeks prior to entering the US so we can work to make sure you have the proper documents to enter.
Traveling to the US: Please keep in mind any travel restrictions departing your country and entering the US. Currently the only restriction for F1 students entering the US is if you have been in China, Brazil or Iran during the 14 days prior your entry to the US.
To enter the US as a F1 student you always need a valid I 20 certificate with a valid travel signature, a valid F1 visa and a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months from entering the US).
Please email the appropriate International Student Office with an update on your plans.
International Student Office:
The above information is subject to change and the International Student Office will be in touch with any updates should they become available.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and we look forward to welcoming you back on campus in the Fall!
All the best,
Leslie Cummings
International Student Office
Tel: 212 674 4300
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Need Help?

Visit our How-To Guides or FAQ

Still have questions?


Connect with us